Thursday 22 August 2013

Designer Focus - Betty Tran


20130816_163224

Just talking to WA designer Betty Tran, it is difficult not to get caught up in her passion and love for her work. With the ambition to empower women to become successful in whatever they do, Tran is giving her clients a creative outlet and an ability to make a statement about who they are as women.

“I am not giving them just a formula that they need to follow but I’m giving them what I believe is a great thing by allowing them and educating them to mix and match clothing,” says Betty Tran.

“They can create a statement of who they are as individuals and I am just giving them the freedom to do that.
“I think fashion to me is never just about garments; it’s never just about our clothing. I truly believe it is a convention that allows people to express who they are as a person and to express the individual.”

20130816_163147
20130816_163406
20130816_163008

The Betty Tran brand launched in March 2012 and shortly after Betty opened her flagship store Perth in Rain Square Perth in September 2012. Tran has since showcased at New York Fashion Week, Mercedes Benz Australia Fashion Week and the Perth Fashion Festival, and has dressed the likes of Spice Girl, Mel B, Aussie models Jessica Hart, Nicole Trunfio and tennis greats Serena and Venus Williams.

And if that incredible rise to the top wasn't enough, a recent trip to Europe has not only inspired her next collection, La Muse, but has led to her garments to be stocked in Paris and Milan.

“I attended major fashion shows in Paris and talked with a lot of agents and buyers who are extremely interested in the collection…we will be distributing around Europe!”

Learning the tricks of the trade from her mother who is a tailor, Tran never dreamed she would be able to merge design with becoming a successful businesswoman.

“I think it’s really allowed me to get to know about who I really am as a woman because I think that designing is not only an expression about who you are but it’s really what stance you are taking for others."

“I am a new person, I am very happy with who I am, very comfortable in my own skin now, it’s like a transformation for me. I really want to empower women to become successful, it doesn’t mater what they are doing, so through the clothing hopefully women can become who they really truly are meant to be.”

Originally a collection of 30 pieces, the La Muse collection now spans 60 garments. Inspired by the gardens of Europe, Tran has used colour and lace to bring it all back to the modern day woman.

“The fabric is exclusive with the pattern of the lace to bring a little bit of romance to the collection because when I travelled overseas I saw beautiful spring gardens and lots of colours.

“I was inspired by the gardens and I really wanted to translate that to the prints, so we have been doing a very special print for this collection with the lace detail onto the silk.”

20130816_16343620130816_16401620130816_163354

And expect the European flavour to continue to Times Square Claremont this month when Betty opens her next store.

“I have always been looking for a store that would be quite different from the store in the city which is very busy and there are always people coming in and out but they don’t have much time.

“We want to create an environment where women can come in and really escape away from their work whether they have 15 or 20 minutes. We want to bring a sense of nature into the store so people don’t feel like they are just coming into another shop but going to a garden, going to a place where they can actually sit down and have a cup of tea and have a chat with their friends and relax.”

Her next project is the Perth Fashion Festival. Look out for Betty Tran’s latest La Muse collection on September 14 as part of Designer Capsule 2, tckets are still available and she is bringing a bit of sex-appeal to the show.

“It's all red, so expect sexy! Last time the show was more sophisticated, elegant and classy, this time we want it to be more edgy, more fun, dynamic, and seductive, another side of the Betty Tran woman!”

You can see Betty Tran at Perth Fashion Festival next month in Designer Capsule 2, on Saturday 14 September.

Betty will open her doors at Times Square Claremont on August 27.

20130816_163538

No comments:

Post a Comment