Sunday 18 August 2013

JOMAY CAO - DESIGNER FOCUS


20130816_130044

Jomay Dee Cao has been on the fashion scene since 2009 as a stylist, and this Tuesday she will open her flagship store at Times Square Claremont as a designer! Creating her first piece at the age of 8 with her dad’s shoelaces, fabric and a sewing machine, Jomay will now release her SS14 Palais Obscur collection, which will debut at in store and at Perth Fashion Festival next month.

“My plan was always to launch a label,” Jomay Cao said. “In fact, I began working as a stylist after showcasing one of my small collections at a charity fashion fundraiser – a photographer sought me out to use the pieces in a photo shoot which I also styled.”

While studying psychology, Cao pursued fashion and built up a body of work in Europe for two months, including styling at London Fashion Week.

“I pursued study in fashion before reverting back to design. I’m totally in my element as a designer now; I’m doing what I’m meant to do,” she said.

20130816_130115

20130816_130125

20130816_130207

Describing her style as ‘understated glam, feminine silhouettes with an effortlessly edgy twist’, Cao’s Spring/Summer 14 Palais Obscur collection is just that.

“I love combining opposing elements, so you will see contrasts between hard and soft; structure and drapery; edgy and feminine, and so on, in each of my collections. I drew a majority of my inspiration for it from contemporary cut-out architecture and traditional provincial buildings which is probably most evident in the cut-out patterned fabrics and intricate lacework.”

Originally selling her pieces at the Ten@Times pop-up store, Jomay will now join WA fashion icons at Times Square, the store is located just across the road from ae’lkemi and Tarvydas.

So what will Perth shoppers be treated to in store? “There are a lot of resort style pieces in the new collection, so shoppers can expect to see clean lines, relaxed tailoring and a neutral colour palette,” Cao said. 
“The perception of ‘accessible luxury’ is tantamount to my design ethos and I believe that this idea has been reflected in the store itself.”

Inspired by Coco Chanel, Jomay Cao draws her inspiration from her surroundings, architecture and décor, “I don’t think you can be a fashion enthusiast without acknowledging the importance of the people who revolutionised the industry, such as Coco Chanel.

"She pioneered much of what is still common place in fashion (the use of the colour ‘black’ in everyday wear, abolishment of the corset, women’s suiting). It’s difficult not to admire someone who had the foresight and tenacity to have such a lasting impact on the world."

20130816_130219

20130816_130225

20130816_130138

Already considering where she will go next, Jomay is looking to open her next store, and turn her attention to accessories to complement her line.

“My next immediate venture will be in accessories – bags, jewellery and shoes – and home décor. To me, interior design and fashion design go hand-in-hand, so I plan to soon branch into soft furnishings.”
And what should we be wearing this Spring/Summer?

“Jomay Cao of course. I know that fashion isn’t considered to be a form of fine art, but I still like to think that I create wearable pieces of artwork that have the ability to provide women with a strong sense of self and style.
“I’m a firm believer in the importance of grooming versus resorting to more invasive and often unnecessary methods of appearance alteration; a new wardrobe can do wonders when it comes to boosting confidence and I enjoy being able to offer that alternative to women.”

You can see Jomay Cao’s SS14 collection at Perth Fashion Festival on Friday 13 September, as part of the WA Designer Collections.

Jomay Cao will open its doors this Tuesday at 11 Avion Way Times Square Claremont.

20130816_124806

20130816_130435

20130816_130456

No comments:

Post a Comment